According to Ezinereligion.com, Seguin is located in south-central Texas, about 30 miles east of San Antonio. The city has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer is around 85°F and in the winter it averages around 50°F. Seguin’s history dates back to 1838 when it was founded by a group of settlers from Matamoros, Mexico led by Juan N. Seguín. It was named after him and quickly became an important trading center for the area due to its location on the Guadalupe River. During the Civil War, Seguin served as a major Confederate supply depot.
In politics, Seguin is part of Texas’s 21st Congressional District and is represented by Republican Chip Roy in Congress. At the state level, Seguin is represented by State Senator Donna Campbell and State Representative John Kuempel.
The economy of Seguin is largely based on manufacturing and agribusiness, with many companies such as Caterpillar Inc., Alamo Group Inc., Simpson Strong-Tie Co., Inc., and Textron Aviation having operations in the city. In addition to these large employers, there are also several small businesses that have been established over the years such as restaurants, retail stores, and other services that serve the local community needs.
Seguin has several schools within its boundaries including two public high schools: Seguin High School and Navarro High School; four middle schools: Alamo Middle School, Lamar Middle School, Aue Middle School; three elementary schools: Reinhardt Elementary School, Rodriguez Elementary School; one alternative school: New Braunfels Alternative Education Center; two private Catholic Schools: Sts Peter & Paul Catholic School & Queen of Peace Catholic Academy; one charter school: Texas Leadership Charter Academy; one college: Texas Lutheran University; and one library: Central Texas Library System – Seguin Branch Library.
Seguin has numerous landmarks throughout its city limits including Heritage Museum of South Texas which houses artifacts from early Native Americans to present day settlers in South Central Texas; Pioneer Village which features over 20 historical buildings from different eras of local history; Plaza de Sequin which features a bronze statue honoring Juan Nava Sequin as well as numerous shops & restaurants; Big Red Oak Tree which stands at 120 feet tall & believed to be over 500 years old; Max Starcke Park which offers recreation activities such as golfing & fishing on Lake Placid along with playgrounds & picnic areas for families to enjoy; Old City Cemetery which includes gravesites from early settlers & veterans dating back to 1856 along with an obelisk monument honoring those who have served their country during wartime service.
Population: 22,011. Estimated population in July 2020: 24,230 (+10.1% change)
Males: 10,470 (47.6%), Females: 11,541 (52.4%)
Zip codes: 78155.
Median resident age: 32.5 years
Median household income: $31,618
Median house value: $64,500
Races in Seguin:
- Hispanic (53.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (36.2%)
- Other race (20.3%)
- Black (9.1%)
- Two or more races (3.6%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.2%), English (4.3%), Irish (3.6%), United States (3.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%), Norwegian (1.2%).
Land area: 19.0 square miles
Seguin, Texas is a small city located in Guadalupe County in Central Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population of Seguin was 25,175 as of 2018. The city has a total area of 28.1 square miles and is located just 30 miles east of San Antonio and 50 miles south of Austin. The median age of the population is 33.3 years old with a gender split of 49.9% female and 50.1% male.
The racial makeup of Seguin is 77.2% White, 11.2% Hispanic or Latino, 8.9% African American, 1% Asian, 0.3% Native American and 0.4% Pacific Islander or other race or two or more races 2%. The largest ancestry group reported by residents was German with 24%. Other reported ancestries included Mexican (19%), Irish (11%), English (7%) and French (2%).
The median household income in Seguin is $50,895 with 18% living below the poverty line according to census data from 2018-2019. The unemployment rate in Seguin is 4%. There are several educational institutions within the city limits including two high schools, two middle schools and seven elementary schools as well as Texas Lutheran University which offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in various academic fields such as business administration, education and social sciences among others.
For population 25 years and over in Seguin
- High school or higher: 61.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 9.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Seguin city
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 11.4%
9.2% Foreign born (8.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,058 (+5.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Seguin:
- GUADALUPE VALLEY HOSPITAL (1215 E COURT ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Seguin:
- MCKENNA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; NEW BRAUNFELS, TX)
- SETON EDGAR B DAVIS (about 24 miles; LULING, TX)
- COMPASS HOSP OF SAN ANTONIO,THE (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Seguin:
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 35 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 44 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 47 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Seguin:
- NEW BRAUNFELS MUNI (about 10 miles; NEW BRAUNFELS, TX; Abbreviation: BAZ)
- GLEN BEICKER RANCH (about 14 miles; SEGUIN, TX; Abbreviation: 83R)
- RANDOLPH AFB (about 22 miles; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Abbreviation: RND)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Seguin:
- TEXAS LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 1,320; Location: 1000 W. COURT ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.tlu.edu)
- SEGUIN BEAUTY SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 29; Location: 102 E COURT ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Seguin:
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 35 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 37 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 38 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 40 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 43 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
Public high schools in Seguin:
- SEGUIN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,987; Location: 815 LAMAR ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- NAVARRO H S (Students: 363; Location: 6450 N STATE HWY 123; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MERCER & BLUMBERG LRN CTR (Students: 115; Location: 1205 E KINGSBURY ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Seguin:
- BRIESEMEISTER MIDDLE (Students: 598; Location: 1616 W CT ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
- NAVARRO EL (Students: 592; Location: 380 LINK RD; Grades: PK – 04)
- KOENNECKE ELEMENTARY (Students: 579; Location: 1441 JOE CARRILLO ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- JOE F SAEGERT SIXTH GRADE CENTER (Students: 568; Location: 216 E COLLEGE ST; Grades: 06 – 06)
- VOGEL ELEMENTARY (Students: 526; Location: 16121 F M 725; Grades: KG – 05)
- WEINERT ELEMENTARY (Students: 524; Location: 1111 N HEIDEKE; Grades: KG – 05)
- JIM BARNES MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 495; Location: 118 N BOWIE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- PATLAN ELEMENTARY (Students: 453; Location: 2501 BREUSTEDT ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- JEFFERSON AVE ELEMENTARY (Students: 433; Location: 215 SHORT AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
- NAVARRO MIDDLE (Students: 389; Location: 300 LINK RD; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Seguin:
- EMANUELS LUTHERAN DAY SCHOOL (Students: 54; Location: 206 N TRAVIS BOX 1049; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Seguin:
- SEGUIN GUADALUPE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $357,994; Location: 707 E COLLEGE ST; 60,699 books; 947 audio materials; 1,238 video materials; 120 serial subscriptions)