Mogilev is located on the banks of the Dnieper in the eastern part of Belarus, 201 km from Minsk. The city was founded in 1267, when a fortress was erected at the confluence of the Dubrovenka River with the Dnieper. By the 17th century, the fortress had 12 towers, but, unfortunately, it has not survived to this day.
According to Thereligionfaqs.com, the main architectural monument of Mogilev is the complex of St. Nicholas Convent. It includes the oldest Orthodox church in the city – Nicholas Cathedral of the early 16th century. In the 17th century, the church burned down, and in 1636 its restoration began. Construction was completed in 1672. Nicholas Church is made in the Baroque style. Inside it, wall paintings from different times have been preserved, the oldest of which date back to the end of the 17th century and are located under the dome, and a wooden carved iconostasis of the 17th century topped with a sculptural crucifix. Next to the Nicholas Church in 1793, the Onufriev Church was erected. At the turn of the 17th-18th centuries, stone residential buildings, a fence with a gate and a belfry were built here. The monastery was badly damaged during the Great Patriotic War, but was later restored.
In the center of the city stands the Church of St. Stanislaus.. It was built in 1738-1752. For 15 years, the church belonged to the Carmelite Order, but by decree of Catherine II, it was given over to the residence of the bishop. The dome and walls of the church are covered with frescoes from the second half of the 18th century.
Of the religious buildings in Mogilev, the Borisoglebskaya Church of 1869, the partially preserved Kazemir Far Church of 1604, rebuilt in the 19th century in the classicist style, the Exaltation of the Cross Church of the 17th century and the Trinity Cathedral of 1914 are also interesting.
On the high city rampart in 1762-1785 the palace of George Konissky was built. George Konissky was a great Orthodox figure of the 18th century. The city has preserved many residential buildings of the 18-19th centuries, as well as a memorial arch of 1780, the building of the former City Council of the 19th century and the building of the regional theater of 1886-1888. A memorial complex “To the Fighters for Soviet Power” with the Eternal Flame was erected on Sovetskaya Square. Be sure to visit one of the oldest museums in the country – Mogilev Regional Museum of Local Lore, the funds of which began to form back in 1867. Now the museum’s funds number more than 240 thousand items. Saltanovskaya Chapel stands 12 km from Mogilev on the site of a major battle of the Patriotic War of 1812.
Mozyr, Gomel region (Belarus)
The main city of the western part of the Gomel region is Mozyr. It is located 130 km southwest of Gomel within the Mozyr ridge. Mozyr and its environs have a hilly terrain, crossed by many ravines. The ruins of an ancient castle are located in the historical center of Mozyr on Castle Hill 15th century. In the middle of the 17th century, the castle was burned down, after which it lost its defensive significance and was no longer restored. Now on the territory of the castle in the “Armory” and “Hunting” towers there are expositions stylized as a medieval era. There is also a children’s town, where the appearance of the castle in miniature has been restored. Another attraction of the city is the Mozyr United Museum of Local Lore with an extensive collection of old books. Here you can see old church books and handwritten and printed books in the Old Slavonic language of the 17th-18th centuries. The state reserve “Mozyr ravines” adjoins the city, which is designed to protect the unique hilly landscape, crossed by ravines. The reserve covers an area of 1.2 thousand hectares. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that the ravines and hills are harmoniously inscribed in the image of the city.
Not far from the state landscape reserve “Mozyr ravines” there is a ski resort “Mozyr”. On the territory of the complex there is a ski slope 300 m long with a height difference of up to 35 m, a training slope, a slide for tubing and snowboarding, and a drag lift. The trails are illuminated at night. Visitors are also offered an ice skating rink, a toboggan ride, a hockey field, a mini-football field and two indoor tennis courts. The complex offers sports equipment rentals, a ski school and free parking. Guest houses were built for living.
Northeast of Mozyr, near the town of Kalinkovichi, is the village of Yurovichi. A group of archaeological sites was discovered here, including 6 ancient settlements, a settlement and a barrow burial ground. These places will be of interest to lovers of archeology.